Located on the low Friuli plain, it lies about 26 km from Gorizia, 25 km from Grado, 50 km from Trieste and 30 km from Udine. The area is flat and easily reached from the A4 Venice-Trieste motorway via the Palmanova exit just 6 km away. The earliest record of the town dates back to a document dated 1202. After forming part of the Patriarchate of Aquileia for centuries then the Republic of Venice (1420-1516) for an interlude, from 1516 to 1918 the town was part of the Princely County of Gorizia and Gradisca, part of the Austrian Empire. As a reminder of that time, you can still admire the imposing villas of noble families and the convent complex of San Domenico, formed by the church (begun in 1716), bell tower and body of the convent, now residential. The arcades of the Civic Hall house a splendid mosaic of the Habsburg double-headed eagle with the coats of arms of all the imperial provinces.
In the heart of the village there is also the ancient Castle of late medieval origin, today divided into eight properties. However, in recent decades Aiello has also made its name for tourism thanks to two major features: the sundials painted on the walls of well over 100 houses in the village, with several constructed in the various hamlets (www.ilpaesedellemeridiane.com) and the Museum of Rural Life of Imperial Friuli, whose large halls display over 25,000 tools from country life in Gorizia in the Austrian age. It is currently the largest ethnographic museum in Italy! (www.museiformentini.it)
Aiello is also the place of arrival and overnight stop for pilgrims and wayfarers on the first stage of the Cammino Celeste (Celestial Way), a 205 km journey which after 10 days reaches its destination of the Sanctuary of Monte Lussari (www.camminoceleste.eu).